South Australia’s primary industries are a significant driver of the state’s economy. Key statistics include:
- In 2016-17, the food and wine industries generated $19.97 billion for the state.
- Agricultural commodity exports were valued at $7.4 billion
- Wheat was the second most valuable export commodity for the state at $1,250 million, behind alcoholic beverages.
- One in five South Australians are employed in food and wine industries.
- There are approximately 13,500 farms in South Australia.