Grower-driven advocacy for a profitable grains industry
Grain Producers SA is the peak industry body for South Australian grain growers. GPSA is non-political and represents producers to government, the community and industry, including grain marketers, exporters, storage and handlers, researchers and farm input suppliers.
GPSA develops and implements policies and projects that promote the economic and environmental sustainability of South Australian grain growing businesses.
GPSA’s mission is to ensure a viable and sustainable grains industry in South Australia for grain producers through leadership, advocacy and communication.
GPSA is 100 percent funded by grain growers, for grain growers. Money from commercial sales of grain is contributed under legislation called the Primary Industry Funding Scheme (Grain Industry Fund) Regulations 2012. The rate is currently set at 20 cents per tonne of grain sold. This provides a sustainable and secure source of funding to represent South Australian grain producers both locally and nationally.
GPSA’s objectives are to improve the profitability and sustainability of South Australian grain producers through:
- Representing the views of South Australian grain producers to government, industry and the community on grains issues.
- Working with an effective state farming organisation and other commodity groups to represent South Australian grain producers on cross commodity issues.
- Working with government and industry to develop policies around creating and maintaining an efficient, accessible and cost-effective supply chain.
- Working with government, industry and institutions to improve the technical and business skills of South Australian grain producers.
- Working with research, development and extension organisations to identify and disseminate research priorities in grain production, handling and management.
- Supporting an effective national representative organisation to work with government around national initiatives to support the grains industry.
- Providing a program to include and develop young farmers to be prepared to take on leadership roles within the SA grains industry.